Sunday, October 25, 2009

Portrait Critiques

Last Monday we had critiques on two portraits, and all our comments had to start with "I noticed..." It was... different. I see the merit in just "noticing" rather than making judgements, but I also appreciate hearing other people's thoughts, especially constructive criticism. I got the feeling we were all trying so hard not to "judge" that it was very hard to tell if what someone noticed was a positive or a negative. I like hearing suggestions on what to improve or how to try something different, and I felt like that was missing in this critique. Still, based on the comments, I would look at how to finish the drawing around the neck/shoulders. I'd like to add more color to the pupils, and also achieve a greater range of value. I realize there are beautiful, delicate drawings with only light value, but I personally prefer more contrast.

This semester I've been drawing in graphite, because it forces me to slow down, because I can't get dark marks without being very deliberate, and because it makes corrections easier. The problems then come when I do want that darker value. I think my second portrait (Kiera) is more successful in terms of value range, and also mark making. The linear, hatch-like marks I've been trying are a bit outside my comfort zone- I've never been a big blender, but it's tricky achieving smooth or subtle shifts in value with just lines. I haven't decided whether I will continue with graphite for the rest of the semester... we'll see!

p.s. Sorry the posts have been so few and far between- I'll remedy that today!

No comments:

Post a Comment